My name is Benjamin Austnes Narum. I recently finished with a two year study of comics and illustration at Bjerkely Folkhighschool in Norway, and now I wish to become a Tattoo Artist.
I moved to our capital, Oslo, a little over 4 weeks ago because I got a job at Greenpeace International as a fundraiser. I love the job, don’t get me wrong. But as an artist, I want to be creative. I want to use my skills.
I created a portfolio, and began cruising the city for tattoo studios. I spoke with maybe 10 different shops, untill one finally gave me the opportunity to begin as an apprentice.
The problem, however, is that it’s impossible to combine work with the apprenticeship.
I must work a minimum of five shifts a week at my current job in order to afford rent, mortgage, groceries, bills and life in general. But my apprenticeship requires me to attend atleast 3 days a week. There’s not enough time.
By helping out, you give me the opportunity to perpetuate people’s moments, thoughts, feelings and memories. I can work less shifts, while being able to do what I must to become a tattoo artist.
What I Need & What You Get
What I need
- I put up a total of 10.000$ - this will pay the rent and mortgage for the next 6 months, as well as put some food on my table. It will also give me needed supplies to illustrate and create!
- Each perk will be unique. I will illustrate your thoughts and ideas. I will paint your cat with a crown on its head, riding into the sunset on a magnificent stallion. I will draw your loved ones, or stylize a tattoo. It’s all up to you!
- If I’m not able to reach my full goal, I will use the aquired funds to pay whatever I can of the rent. Everything will help, and everything is welcomed!
Your support will make all the difference in the world. I can focus more on developing my illustrations, and doing what’s required as an apprentice.
- Why I think this is important: The world needs art. And the world is full of tattoo artists that begin at home, with low standards and dirty equipment. Not only is this a health risk, but it also gives the industry a bad name. Quality is important!
- Why I want this: "My body is my journal, and my tattoos are my story." - Johnny Depp. Tattoos capture memories, emotions and stories. It might be symbolic, it might remind you of someone lost. It can be a beautiful piece of art, painted on a live canvas. It’s an ancient trade which I wish to learn, develop and carry on.
Risks & Challenges
This is an apprenticeship, not a 3-year course through school. It might not work out between the master and the apprentice. It’s possible to burn out, and not be able to develop as quickly.
But this is something I really want to do. I will work hard. If I fail, I will try again. There are many tattoo arists out there that are willing to accept apprentices, it’s just about finding the right one.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can’t contribute, be sure to follow my Tumblr.
Share it, and ask if people want something drawn! I accept commisions, and I can do logo designs, posters, album covers and so on.
i wish i had my own apartment so i could make food at two in the morning and dance around in my underwear
funny how once you get your own apartment this is actually exactly what happens
And then you cry over the responsibility of living on your own.